Saturday, January 3, 2015

My Favorite Winter Biking Hack - The Wooly Apron

"There's no bad weather - just bad gear"

Winter biking gear is interesting, because each person's experience is unique. It's impacted by how "warm-blooded" you are and how long your rides are. My Minneapolis winter commutes are 55-60 minutes each way. Except for my fingers and toes, I don't have much of a problem staying warm in winter. I'm actually more concerned about not getting too warm.  The one place where I've noticed I get cold is on my chest. The wind beats against it and the cold seems to press in.  So I've spent many hours on my bike brainstorming how to add a layer just where I need it and not where I don't. Because I'm not cold on my arms, or my back, and another entire layer is just going to make me sweat - especially in the pits.

My solution? The Wooly Apron!  I took a merino wool sweater from the clearance rack at Target, cut off the sleeves, and turned it into an apron, which I wear just under my top layer.  Both the front and the back of the sweater became two layers of warm wool on  my chest. It's amazing and I don't go anywhere without out it. If I don't have it on, I have it in my bag.

And it was easy.  

Step one: Cut off the sleeves
Step 2: Cut a horizontal line across the backStep 3: stitch the front and back together where the sleeves were removed and put a few hand stitches across the top of the horizontal cut

Step 4: Ride warm and happy!













1 comment:

  1. Very cool, or well, warm as it were. Good idea. As an avid winter rider from Wisconsin I often arrive home with a red belly but sweaty head and back of my neck...
    This sounds like a possible fix...

    ReplyDelete

I value your comments. Please be respectful of all views, no matter how different they are from your own. We're all in this life together.